_

Friday, February 15, 2013

Designing Universal Currency in Art Class

Are your students All about the Benjamins?

This is a great interdisciplinary lesson for all grade levels. Last year I did this lesson with my level one high school art students, but it could easily be modified for grades 4+. It's got built in motivation, what student doesn't love money?
There are so many ways to go with this. You could start off with a timeline of how the US dollar bill has changed over time. I chose to start by having the students create an inventory of the symbols and to guess the possible meanings. Variations could be do to have students compare/contrast to foreign currencies.
I'm revisiting this to see if I want to bring it down to my fourth grade classes who will soon be working on the travelling iPad cart. I think the lesson could easily be done entirely on the computer.
Five lesson plans, student samples, rubrics now posted on my TpT.

Teacher examples (ink)







Teacher example (with watercolor "watermark")








Student examples:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment