_

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Recycled Scarecrows

Last weekend I fell down the rabbit hole of Jessy Ruby's website 2 art rooms. It is the first time that I could clearly see a TAB classroom functioning in a way that made sense to me. Her use of the studio habits as a framework created a logical foundation.

With that idea lingering in my subconscious, I made some changes to a lesson I had done last year with second grade. Upon finishing their scarecrow paper weavings, they were invited to explore recycled materials to make a 3D scarecrow. Last year I did something similar, but I showed them how to put it together. Since this was the grade level that really embraced my STEAM bridge challenge, I knew they'd be up for another.

It was interesting to watch them struggle with the problem and invent their own solutions. I restricted the use of glue and limited materials to (1) cardboard, (2) pipecleaners or (1) twisteez wire and (2) beads



If you want the professionally formatted lesson plan to wow your administrators, it's right here.



No comments:

Post a Comment