_

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Highlight Your Art Program at STEAM Night



Does your school host STEAM night? A few years ago, our school decided to combine several of the evening activities into one. There used to be a separate night for science fair, and a math and literacy night and the art show (which was held off site). Combining these items for one special night made lots of sense and was appreciated by the parents.



The first year I hosted a pendulum painting activity and there was a line all night long. I didn't realize at the time, that I should not have set up my tripod on the floor. I strongly recommend a tabletop version if you plan to assist the students in loading the container with paint, or holding the container in place while they get paper into position. It will save  your back! You will also want a drying rack on wheels. I had to pass back the work to homeroom teachers the following day as it was too wet to take home. Original post with more specifics on pendulum painting here.
















Last year I opened up our student art gallery during STEAM night. The members of my "frame shop" hung exhibits with a STEAM connection in the two hallways that I've taken over upstairs. (More on setting up your own student-led art gallery here). The docents worked on practicing their script and led tours. The challenge was getting people to come upstairs. I felt bad having the students "recruit" people from the gym, where the other activities were held to view the art, especially some of the grandparents and parents with strollers.










This year I decided to move some exhibits downstairs and allow self-guided tours of the steam focused projects. Third grade showed off their digital 1-point perspective drawings (lesson here) and fourth grade exhibited the digital cake drawings (lesson here).



Since I did not have to monitor the student docents, it freed me up to work a station again. Connecting to science, I chose the concept persistence of vision and highlighted student animation projects from each grade level. I printed out information and/or made samples of thaumatropes, phenakistiscopes, zoetropes and flip books for them to view. As a make & take activity I offered roll up animations and thaumatropes (historical animation info here). One of the highlights was the 5th grade animation projects(lesson here). I brought my ipad and had student samples looping for parents to see the natural progression of the curriculum and the students were proud to show off their work (lesson here).










What's your favorite STEAM activity to share with parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment