_

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Art Prompts

This year, student have been given a limitation to follow each week for their sketchbook assignment. Last week they drew with continuous line, inspired by a video from Princess Etch. The original post can be read here. What they don't know is that I'm also trying to limit myself by not giving what I consider the same type of prompt over and over again. 

For the latest sketchbook, we chose the prompts together as a class. During our weekly remote day of instruction (hey - future me....remember teaching during a pandemic?) I pulled up the website artprompts.org and for each student chose a category and we generated a prompt on the spot. The list of prompts was posted as a class "bank" of prompts. Students were able to draw any of the prompts that we created together, they didn't have to draw their own.

While I normally dread grading sketchbooks, these unconventional prompts have made it fun. Here's a sample of the prompt "An old tobacco pipe with designs carved on it."












And here is one for "An Alchemist's Lab"



No comments:

Post a Comment