_

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Drawing Inspiration From Contemporary Artists

 

This week, our limitation was to draw three thumbnail sketches that were inspired by a contemporary artist. I asked students to push beyond what they new and try to find an artist they don't think anyone in the class would have heard of. I asked them to take a day or two to think about it, and before they began, asked them to share the name of their artist to our class padlet. If their artist was already listed, they would need to start over.












I started the posting with Bisa Butler, who is a new favorite of mine.  They tried to check in asking if they could do this type of artist, or a kid their age with an instagram and I stuck with my single answer "Pick a living artist" and it truly paid off.

 I didn't want them picking something to please me. Here are some of the artists they shared:Yoshitomo Nara, Steven McCracken, Donny the Dybbuk, Morgen Kilbourn, OtakuNailArt, Damien Hirst, Victoria Vincent. I love that there are a range of artists including nail art, comic and cartoonists, street art, etsy shop owners and more. 

- - -

Each week I've been giving a limitation for students to work in their sketchbook. Last week it was to use the artprompts generator. To see the rest of the sketches in this series, click the limitation tag at the bottom of this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment