_

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Artist of the week

Do you have an artist of the week or other acknowledgement system? My first year at elementary the principal asked if I had awards for the end of year assembly and I said that I didn't. Well that June I felt like I missed the boat as we rolled into the 2nd day and 3rd hour of awards. Wow. Elementary. They get awards for EVERYTHING, amiright? So the following year I decided to award one student in each class an artist of the week award....(which could also be known as the "I published your stuff to artsonia this week award") They've been loving it. Some years I post their artwork in our hallway to coincide with their week which is a lot of work to rotate weekly and make sure you get each kid once, but they do genuinely appreciate it and so do their parents. It's also a great way to make sure their parents are aware of artsonia. By sending home this slip with each kid on their day, I can usually get a few more parents to allow them to participate.










Now that first projects are completed I'm ready to start our artist of the week program again and decided to up the ante with these homemade, tie-dye aprons that they can choose to wear on their day. Hoping by making this more special I can erase some of the guilt I feel when they tell me it's their birthday (clearly expecting a sticker or trinket) and I give them a high-five.


No comments:

Post a Comment