_

Monday, February 1, 2021

Celebrating Black History Month in Your Art Class

Many of us have been seeking to diversify our curriculums. Last summer I shared a list of black artists that my students enjoy learning about. Although I prefer to introduce students to artists as it makes sense in my curriculum, this seemed like a great time to share a few favorite art lessons inspired by artists of color. 

Here are some of my favorite books (with read alouds)

Art from her heart - Kathy Whitehead
Getting to know the World's Greatest Artists: Jacob Lawrence - Mike Venezia
Getting to know the World's Greatest Artists: Faith Ringgold - Mike Venezia
Say Something - Peter Reynolds (read by the author)
Be Who You Are - Todd Parr (read by the author)
I am brown - Ashok Banker

Here are some of my favorite websites for inspiration:
Learning For Justice (Formerly Teaching Tolerance)
Teach For Justice (Free Webinar Series)


Elementary



Secondary


















Applied Art / Crafts 




















Tiff Massey


What are some of your favorite lessons, books or resources?

No comments:

Post a Comment