_

Thursday, April 11, 2024

Making the most of paper

After my first year of elementary art teaching I noticed that students rarely filled the paper they were given. To save my meager budget I would crop down the unused paper and developed quite a large pile of colorful scraps next to my paper cutter and was determined not to waste a single bit. This is what I call the hierarchy of paper.



Students pay little attention to the size of the paper you give them. If I gave them a full sheet of 12x18 or I stole a 1" strip off the side they did not notice or care. I started pre-trimming the paper which did two things. It allowed me to neatly mat their work onto a standard size 12x18 for the art show and it gave me a clean 1" strip to save for a variety of things like 

low relief paper sculpture collaborations


and weaving

At the end of our weaving project, I still had piles of these precut strips that I had been hoarding all year. Those strips became the inspiration for the "paper loop" installation. 


Wow. There were still strips left. Early finishers cut those strips into 1" squares for paper mosaics.



And when the mosaics are finished what about a Hans Arp inspired collage of chance?

 Did you ever notice that some colors are more popular than others. I don't know why these kids are always giving orange and brown the silent treatment but that's ok because those sad unused tiles will become paper pulp. If you worry like me about your supply order not arriving to school in time for the first week of school, save your scraps and start with a dot day pulp painting.

Let's not limit our paper saving to the paper cutter, shall we? Whenever students are cutting things out of paper (and you know they are gonna cut right from the center, aren't they) you can save those scraps as well. 3-5 pieces of tiny scraps are a great way to introduce something like an Alexander Calder Planar Sculpture. 

My students usually do this activity in stations and eventually work up to something more complex











If you're looking to maximize your budget many of these lessons are part of my Earth Day bundle. You can check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment