_

Saturday, October 19, 2024

Student Performance Measures in the art room




















Yesterday was the deadline for submitting our evaluation proposals to admin for approval. In our district we have a 3 year wave of formal observations. Our state has a digital platform for teachers to submit paperwork, data and to communicate with admin on our goals.

I have been using variations of the same SPM (Student Performance Measure) for the past several years and wanted to share what I have found to be an easy data collection system.

For my annual goal, I typically choose my art 1 classes because I have the most sections of that class. We do have relatively small class sizes compared to the rest of the country for which I am incredibly grateful. However, with a class cap of 20, that means if a few students don't hit goal, it greatly impacts your numbers.

During the first week of class during the drop add period, I give students an independent drawing activity. This is similar to a baseline assessment in any other class and is helpful in a number of ways. I can see where they are struggling and prepare to deliver instruction to meet the deficits.  It gives us a nice "before" visual for a before and after comparison. I'm not actively teaching content on the first week so as kids transfer in they haven't missed key instruction.

Over the years I've found the best combination for my art 1 class is to have them draw the following 3 items on copy paper with zero instruction.

1. A face
2. A house
3. Free Choice (Something you can do well)

They have 30 minutes of our 80 minute block each day for 3 days in a row to work on this. It's also a nice balance to the hectic 1st week when there are assemblies and my room feels like a revolving door. They submit these 3 items online, which also gives me a chance to teach them what I am looking for when they take digital photos of their work to submit. If I have students enter class later in the week this is a nice assignment to provide them as well when students are midway through a new project.

These are two sample submissions:












I attach a very small point value so that they do it. Being the beginning of the year I stress that it's a great way to start with a 100% average. 

The data that I am collecting from these drawings is not the same as the rubric that the student would receive. I am looking for their use of value and shading to define 3D form.



As the semester progresses I enter the portion from the rubric that attends to this area only. So in this case, the second column of data is from their implied shape drawing activity:



The third column is their still life project:


Using excel to input data makes the next step very easy. I average the two grades from the projects and find the difference in their baseline score. This demonstrates the amount of growth in each student.  Here are the formulas I use in excel:

Find the average of 2 projects (in this case they are columns C & D)




Find the difference between the baseline pre-assessment score and the average of 2 projects:



At this point, if I have enough students meeting the benchmark I am done and submit my middle of year data to the online system. If I still have kids below I can average in a 3rd project such as their portrait drawing. For my final submission we place student baselines on the center table and I select their best use of value (still life, portrait or impossible form) to place next to it. We do a critique in class and I videotape a quick walk thru of the before and after projects. These are some stills from the video that I share with my supervising principal.



Please feel free to drop your questions in the comments. I also have samples from my years with elementary if you need help with that age level. Here are the specific prompts that we have to answer on our system:


















No comments:

Post a Comment