_

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Scope and Sequence For Art Teachers at any level




It's no secret that I love all things organization, so it should be no surprise that I am a stickler for creating a scope and sequence (s&s) every year


Do I follow it religiously?  Absolutely not. I mean, I do and I don't. It's my true north. So when I see something shiny and new on an instagram story I go back to my s&s and ask myself "what can you get rid of?" and if the new lesson doesn't replace what the old lesson had then it goes into a folder called "ideas."








Next summer I pull out the old s&s and open my idea folder. Sometimes the shiny new lesson has lost its luster and sometimes it squeezes its way into the lineup, but if it does, it belongs there. It's not just a whim or a fad. I archive the old s&s in the cloud because sometimes you bump something out and then maybe realize that students aren't where you think they should be. Lots of times I go back and can see what I cut, or how swapping the order of what I taught made a difference. 




This is really handy when you are moving a specific skill up or down a grade level. When I decided to add gelli printing to my curriculum, I went back three years to look at how to best move things around so I wasn't skipping or duplicating anything.












While the best way to get the perfect sequence is to go through the process yourself, sometimes life just gets in the way. The scope and sequence for all of my classes are now free editable downloads from the preview on my TpT.

I'd love to hear how others work their way through curriculum changes.

Here's a link to get my s&s for each course that I teach.

High School Art 1 

High School Crafts 

High School Cartooning

Elementary Art

Middle School Art

No comments:

Post a Comment